I decided to make today a reading day. It’s been raining pretty much all day and it’s starting to get really cold so I didn’t need much convincing to stay inside and catch up with some reading for my MA.
I’ve now read this biography of Byron (last week’s charity shop purchase) from cover to cover. Although the author’s writing style feels a little dated, it has certainly been useful in filling in the gaps in my knowledge regarding Byron’s life.
It’s always worth checking through the books in charity shops as you can often find a little treasure like this.
Usually, I get down in the dumps when faced with a wet and windy day. By definition, I call days like today ‘miserable’ and make the assumption that they are a bit or a write-off. This got me thinking: if I alter my perceptions of the bad weather, perhaps the nature of the day will improve? Well, I didn’t manage to stop it raining but I did come up with five good reasons why a rainy day isn’t such a bad thing…
1. It’s actually quite relaxing to hear the sound of rain pitter-pattering on the roof or the window. Now obviously, this is best heard whilst tucked up in bed and not just before you’re about to set off to work on foot because the car won’t start (yes that was me last week!).
2. Anything ‘outdoorsy’ that you do accomplish feels akin to climbing Everest. Trudging through town this morning, weighed down by bags of veg (for the guineas & the rabbits), wood shavings and straw (for the rabbits), and then subsequently cleaning out the rabbits’ hutch made me feel like an intrepid explorer. I’m not daunted by a little bit of rain!
3. I can’t complain that my hair looks flat/thin/wispy. It doesn’t. It’s massive. I look like I’ve been dragged through a hedge backwards – and that some of the hedge is still lodged in there – but hair is definitely anything but flat!
4. It’s totally acceptable to eat a ‘hearty’ lunch and by that I mean one that contains lots of veg…and gravy…nom.
5. It’s also totally acceptable to sit in a comfy chair, with the heating on and read. I do a lot of reading for my MA and today was just the right day to start getting my head round Don Juan. Byron is actually bloody funny!
I’m not saying I want every day to be a rainy one because believe me, I don’t! But once in a while, I guess it’s ok.